The Kings County Catholic Lawyers Guild and the Columbian Lawyers Association held the annual Red Mass in downtown Brooklyn on Thursday. In the photo, the Right Reverend Patrick J. Keating and Gregory T. Cerchione. Eagle photo by Rob Abruzzese
On Thursday, the Columbian Lawyers Association will sponsor Red Mass at 5:30 p.m. at St. James Cathedral Basilica, Jay Street and Cathedral Place, one block north of Tillary Street. The Right Reverend Patrick Keating, Spiritual Moderator of the Catholic Lawyers Guild, will be the celebrant and homilist.
The Knights and Dames of the Holy Sepulcher (in capes), the Knights of Columbus and the Colombiettes will join the members of the clergy and magistracy (in togas) in the procession. There will be a free reception buffet immediately after.
The Red Mass will be broadcast live from St. James on NET TV on the following channels: Verizon Fios – Channel 548; Optimal – Channel 30; Specter – Channel 97; and the NET TV website – netny.tv
The revival of the Red Mass in the United States is relatively recent. In a few places in Europe it has endured the test of centuries, but Cardinal Hayes of New York first brought the legal professions together in downtown Manhattan in 1928. Catholics, Protestants, Jews and people of good faith joined him in invoking Divine Providence for the coming term of the tribunal.
The custom of a votive mass in honor of the Holy Spirit dates back to 13e Catholic Europe of the century. Of course, the opening of the Sacred Roman Rota, the supreme judicial body of the Catholic Church, has been identified for centuries with the Red Mass.
In pre-Reformation England before the Tudors, the mass celebrant and the twelve “Lord High Justices” dressed in the colors of wisdom, martyrdom and the fire of love, a brilliant scarlet, went in procession to their places at Westminster Abbey. There, in prayer, they opened the term of St. Michael.
In France, the famous La Sainte Chapelle was built by Louis IX to house what was believed to be the sacred relic of the Crown of Thorns. For many years this church was the chapel of the Bar Association and was designed for the exclusive use of courts of law. Over time, it has also become the site of the Red Mass, the celebration of the inauguration of the judicial year.
Although Sainte Chapelle was damaged during the French Revolution, during its restoration, Louis Philippe dedicated it exclusively to the use of this Red Mass.
In Romanesque and Gothic splendor, Catholic members of the legal profession united in the great cities of Europe to honor the Holy Spirit as the source of wisdom, understanding, counsel and strength and to ask the Lord to bless them. with a part of the same.
The Cathedral Basilica of Saint-Jacques
In August 1823, St. James’s Church was built and blessed; religious services began in the same place where the Saint-Jacques Cathedral is today. In 1853, when the Diocese of Brooklyn was established and Bishop John Loughlin was appointed first bishop, St. James served as the seat of the Bishop of Brooklyn and remains today.
St. James is important as a “first” parish. There was the first parish school in the basement of the church and had the first high school (St. James Academy), which later moved to Clermont Avenue and changed its name to Bishop Loughlin High School after the founder of diocese. It was the first house of the Sisters of Mercy, the Sisters of Saint Joseph, the Sisters of the Visitation, the Christian Brothers and the Franciscan Brothers.
In 1962, the Cathedral of Saint James was designated a basilica by Rome.
On October 3, 1979, during his first visit to the United States as Pope, His Holiness John Paul II stopped and walked among the faithful gathered in front of St. James Cathedral, blessing those who had gathered. to greet him.